Access to Nursing (incorporating SWAP) SCQF Level 6
What is special about this course?
This course builds the foundations to a career in nursing and other care related professions.
This course is part of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) and provides the skills and entry requirements you need to progress to Higher Education.
- To apply for this course you must have been out of full time education for more than three years or 5 years if you have achieved study at Higher levels (SCQF 6).
- You must demonstrate in your personal statement experience and commitment to working in this field.
- You will receive an interview and your core skills will be assessed, including English and Numeracy.
- This is a Category 1 PVG course: PVG Scheme membership is required to successfully achieve target qualification, where there is guaranteed contact with vulnerable groups in key elements of the course. For further information visit our PVG scheme webpage.
- You may require Occupational Health Screening prior to practice.
It aims to help you understand the needs and issues impacting on clients from different perspectives. It includes topics such as Human Body and Understanding Mental Health and Ilness.
It allows you to look at foundations of professional care practice and develop an understanding of the skills and values required to work with a range of groups.
Studying this course will help you build confidence and skills to progress onto higher level qualificaitons.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
1 year full time
2 years part time
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Nurse education, Paramedic education, further studies in Allied Health Professions
- HNC Social Services, SVQ Social Services and Healthcare, SVQ Social Services (Children and Young People) and thereafter possibly BA (Hons) Health & Social Studies
- Employment in a health/care environment.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Due to an on-going cyber security incident our systems are currently down. Applications for full-time degree courses can still be made via UCAS but we are unable to take any direct applications. We are doing everything possible to minimise disruption, but this could take some time. Please check back at regular intervals for updates or, if you have a specific query, contact us.