What is special about this course?
BSc (Hons) Bioscience* is a new degree offering skills and practical experience in subjects including biology, biochemistry, genomics, laboratory practice and instrumentation, and focuses on recent advances in a range of scientific fields.
You will learn a range of laboratory techniques used in disciplines such as microbiology, biochemistry, chemistry for biology, molecular biology and genomics. On completion of the degree you will have gained experience and skills required for employment in industries such as biotechnology, food and drink, microbiology, environmental protection and scientific research.
*Subject to validation
- High importance is given to practical skills and data handling
- You will gain valuable experience of laboratory practice in chemistry, biology and instrumentation.
- BSc (Hons) Bioscience prepares you for employment in a wide range of scientific disciplines
We offer modern student accommodation at a number of our locations.
- 3 Scottish Highers at grade BCC or above, must include 2 science subjects (Higher Maths being desirable) OR
- 2 A levels at grade C or above, including one science subject
- You must have a minimum National 5, Standard Grade Credit, Intermediate 2 or equivalent in Chemistry and Maths; Physics at this level is also desirable
Alternatively, the completion of:
- an appropriate Access to Science course OR
- Foundation Apprenticeship Food and Drink Technologies Plus 2 Scottish Highers in science (chemistry or biology) and English, with minimum National 5 Maths* OR
- Foundation Apprenticeship Scientific Technologies (Laboratory Skills) Plus 1 Scottish Higher in Science at grade C or above and minimum National 5 Chemistry*
*Subject to validation
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience may be considered on an individual basis
Advanced entry to year two or three of the degree:
- Direct entry to year two may be possible on successful completion of the HNC Applied Science (minimum 120 points required), with an A grade in the Graded Unit; other related HNCs will be considered on an individual basis
- Direct entry to year three may be possible on successful completion of the HND Applied Science from other institutions, preferably with an A grade in the Graded Unit; applicants with a B grade may be considered on an individual basis, as will those with other related HNDs
- NC Applied Science Level 6
Relevant Scottish Wider Access Programmes (SWAP):
- Access to: Biological Science (West Lothian College)
- Access to: Health and Life Sciences (Fife College)
- Access to: Life Sciences (Dundee & Angus College)
- Access to: Life Sciences (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Medical and Life Sciences (North East College)
- Access to: Physical Sciences (Dundee & Angus College)
- Access to: Physical Sciences (Edinburgh College)
Year 1 - CertHE
- Chemistry 1
- Science laboratory skills
- Collecting and analysing data
- Scientific techniques
- Plus one option module
Year 2 - DipHE
- Biochemistry and molecular biology
- Chemistry for bioscience
- Principles of instrumentation
- Advanced science lab skills
- Advanced science techniques
Year 3 - BSc
- Applications in bioscience
- Developmental biology
- Research skills and project
- Introduction to data science and modelling
- Work placement
- Applications of analytical chemistry
- Microbial ecology
Year 4 - BSc (Hons)
- Recent advances in bioscience 1 and 2
- Omic technologies
- Engaging with external agencies (includes work placement)
You must also complete a dissertation.
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
You will learn through a combination of face-to-face and video conference lectures and tutorials, as well as individual online study via the university’s virtual learning environment (VLE). You will be required to attend weekly practical laboratory sessions at your study location.
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years
- Part-time (structured): 8 years
- Part-time (unstructured): variable
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
The Home-Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2019.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2018-19 and 2019-20).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time per year (120 credit modules) per year||£12,200||£12,800|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£6,100||£6,420|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£2,034||£2,140|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international. students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BSc (Hons) Bioscience, you may consider a career in:
- Food and drink industries
- Environmental protection
- Chemical industries
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.