What is special about this course?
The world of hairdressing is continually evolving with new trends, techniques and products. Take your first steps into the industry and build skills to create and maintain the latest styles with this introductory qualification.
Our training salons are equipped with the latest equipment and products where you can practice washing and blow drying hair and basic styling techniques.
You will also have the opportunity to tvolunteer for projects such as fashion shows, organise fundraising events for charity and learn from industry experts.
You will need to be passionate, creative, committed and enjoy working with people. Throughout the course emphasis is on the development of employability skills and attitudes valued by employers.
Support is available from student services and lecturers to assist you throughout your course.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course however your personal statement should reflect your passion for this subject.
- You will be invited to a group interview where you can find out more about the course and tell us why you are interested in hairdressing.
- Applicants should have good manual dexterity and enjoy meeting and working with people.
- Prepare for hair services and maintain work areas - Assisting others to set up for colour and styling.
- Contribute to the development of effective working relationships - Developing relationships with colleagues and clients as well as your own personal development.
- Blow dry hair.
- Shampoo and condition hair.
- Assist with hair colouring and lightening services.
- Plait and twist using basic techniques.
- Communication skills.
- Working with others.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Full time
- Part time
- Online resources
- Face to face and practical teaching
- Group work
- Assisting other student stylists
As part of your course, you will work with community groups and participate in fundraising events to enhance your experience. These activities may take place outwith timetabled hours.
The course is timetabled for up to 3 days per week between 9am and 5pm, with the possibility of an early evening session.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
August and January
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Progression to Hairdressing, SCQF Level 5, SVQ 2
- Work based employment in hairdressing.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
What our students, graduates and staff say
"This course provides you with a fantastic foundation in hairdressing essentials preparing you for progression to the next stage. Our lecturers are supportive and encouraging allowing you to 'grow' in confidence developing current hairdressing skills"
Sharon MacFarlane, Head of School - Creative Arts
Apply for Hairdressing
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Inverness College UHI. Inverness College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.