Modern Apprenticeship in Aquaculture
What is special about this course?
This course is aimed at those who work in the fish farming industry, carrying out the daily husbandry duties on either a freshwater or marine site. The SVQ Level 2 Aquaculture is a recognised qualification which has been designed by the industry. It can be useful for progression within the student's place of work and is particularly useful for those without any formal qualifications in aquaculture. It offers the candidate the opportunity to demonstrate the skills they have learnt, and also fill any gaps in their knowledge and understanding of the fish farm industry.
Candidates need to be employed in a fish farm with at least three months experience.
To obtain the full qualification you must achieve 10 units: 7 mandatory and 3 optional.
- Prepare holding units to receive fish
- Prepare and gather live fish
- Carry out routine maintenance and repairs on aquaculture facilities
- Monitor the aquatic production environment
- Maintain environmental conditions within holding
- Work safely in an aquatic environment
- Prepare to and feed fish
- Stock fish into holding units
- Grade live fish
- Prepare to and harvest fish
- Collect information on fish growth and development
- Prepare to and treat health problems in fin fish
- Spawn fish and fertilise fish eggs
- Establish and maintain green egg incubation
- Prepare and maintain fish eggs in a hatchery
- Care for juvenile fish
- Prepare for the transport of live fish
- Transport live fish
- Prepare and operate small craft
How will I study my course?
- Work based
- Work based
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
- Work Based
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- SVQ 3 Aquaculture
- Farm assistant
- Farm technician
- Fish husbandry
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Applications to be made by employers through the Business Solutions Team at Inverness College UHI. The Team can be also be contacted for further course information on 01463 273666.
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Inverness College UHI. Inverness College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.