Applied Data Science MSc
What is special about this course?
Are you interested in making an impactful and effective contribution to business through data science? If so, this new MSc Applied Data Science* will allow you to develop your skills and knowledge in data analytics techniques and evaluate their relevance and validity.
You will learn key data science skills using freely available software. Core subjects will cover fundamental theories, ethical considerations and industry-standard techniques, while optional modules will allow you to focus on specific applications.
The range of options include business, computational, and environmental themes. As part of the environmental options, you will gain experience with GIS software and spatial analysis, while in the business-themed options the focus is on business decisions and company culture – can you help it move toward data-driven decision-making? The computational theme has an emphasis on data engineering and machine learning.
The course is delivered online, allowing you the flexibility to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments. You can also tailor your option choices to suit your specific areas of interest.
This course may also be of interest to companies wishing to use it as continuing professional development for their employees.
*subject to validation
- Flexible optional themes (business, computational and environmental)
- Learn to apply a wide range of data analytics techniques and evaluate their relevance and validity
- Make an immediate and effective contribution to an organisation through data science
- Study current ethical issues in data science and their application to an organisation
- You can study part-time, online, when and where it suits you, within the UK and internationally
- 2.2 honours degree or above in a relevant subject such as bioscience, environmental science, computing, geography, business, tourism
- Applicants with an ordinary degree or equivalent qualification plus work experience at a suitable level will be considered on an individual basis
- Qualifications from an approved professional body will also be taken into account
*Funding support notice*A limited number of scholarships may be available for this course, with a minimum award of £6,000 per place. See fees/funding tab for more information.
Core modules are:
- Introduction to research and data visualisation
- Ethics and data science
- Statistics 1
You will choose three modules from the following:
- Applications of GIS
- Advanced GIS and remote sensing
- Success and culture: the importance of organisational culture
- Information decision-making
- Data analytics on the web
- Data modelling on the web
To achieve the award of MSc you must successfully complete a research dissertation.
How will I study my course?
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
You will learn through a combination of video conference lectures and tutorials, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors.
How long will my course last?
- Part-time: 3 years @ 20 hours per week
Number of hours per week indicates the total number of hours you should dedicate to the course, which includes time spent in lectures and your own time spent on individual study and research.
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness College UHI
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
*Funding support notice*
A limited number of scholarships may be available for this course, with a minimum award of £6,000 per place. These are offered and supported by The Data Lab and funded by the European Social Fund and Scottish Funding Council as part of Developing Scotland’s Workforce in the Scotland 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Fund Programmes, with funding for those who meet the Scottish Funding Council eligibility for funding.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the course you will be well suited for any role with a strong emphasis on data analysis or data science. You might also like to take dual roles within a business, marrying your underlying subject knowledge with your data science skills.
Can I progress into further study?
You may progress on to any data focussed MRes or PhD project that also makes use of your underlying subject knowledge gained through experience or undergraduate qualifications.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Applied Data Science MSc
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.