What is special about this course?
There is an increasing demand for accounting professionals across a number of businesses. This course is an ideal stepping stone to enter a career in accounting.
This course introduces you to the key accounting skills such as handling wages and salaries, and recording financial transactions to allow you to produce a set of financial statements. You will develop your skills and knowledge on specialised software and Microsoft Excel.
Completion of this course may enable you to progress onto further study such as HNC Accounting, or to enter administration roles in an accounting environment.
- School leavers: Four Standard Grades at 3 or above/National 4 at pass, including English.
- Your personal statement should reflect your desire to work in this field.
- Applicants are encouraged from mature students who may not have formal qualifications but have skills required to meet the demands of the course
Additional selection requirements:
Entry to the course is based on you:-
- Meeting the above entry requirements, and
- Attending a course information and selection day
- Recording cash and credit transactions - including recording incoming and outgoing invoices, using a petty cash books and ledgers.
- Handling wages and salaries - calculating employee pay and deductions.
- Preparing financial accounting. learning how to produce an income statement and a statement of financial position.
- Analysing accounting information - looking at how to interpret financial statements.
- Spreadsheets - using Microsoft Excel to prepare financial informaiton.
- Economics - learning about supply and demand and how this affects the pricing of services.
- Communications: You’ll look at business communication, learning how to produce high quality business documents, and develop skills for performing effectively at meetings or presentations.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
Face to face, full time or part time
- Online resources
- Guest speakers from local accounting firms. Meet local employers who’ll give you their top tips for successful interviews, tell you the skills they look for when recruiting new employees and explain what it’s really like starting up a new business
- Group work
You will also be expected to manage and monitor a budget whilst delivering a high quality charity event.
The course is timetabled for up to 4 days per week between 9am and 5pm, with an expectation that you will study outwith these hours.
How long will my course last?
2 years part time
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
You may be eligible to apply for an Educational Maintenance Allowance or Bursary.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Possible progression onto HNC Accounting, HNC Business or HNC Administration.
- Employment in a related role.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Accounting NC
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Inverness College UHI. Inverness College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.