Conservation and the Rural Environment SCQF Level 4
What is special about this course?
This course has been designed to provide a broad basis for progression into further education and training in the land-based and forestry sector for the school leaver and those career changers wishing to experience the basic requirements for entering into the forestry, arboriculture, Conservation, environmental and rural industries. You will begin to experience and learn some of the practical and research skills necessary to work in these disciplines as well as an explore the very diverse employment prospects that exist.
No formal entry requirements. Learners should be capable of working independently at this level.
You will be introduced to the various disciplines linked to conservation and rural environment, including:
- Understand rural species and habitats using field work and research skills
- Experience of an outdoor working environment with the development of skills linked with tasks involving feature design and construction; woodland activities and use of hand tools in a wide range of activities
- Understanding on how to present an enterprise activity linked with activities carried out within the general course
- Awareness of health and safety issues that are integral to a career in a land-based industry
- Development of technical knowledge, skills and understanding of some of the commonly used practical skills associated with land based industries at this level
- Preparation for more focused further learning opportunities, study and training for employment in land-based industries
- Literacy, numeracy and ICT skills.
When you start this course, you will be provided with:
- A high visibility waistcoat
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Waterproof notebook
- First aid kit with whistle
- Collins Tree Guide (Book)
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
Face to face. You will study 16 hours per week on campus.
How long will my course last?1 Year
Where can I study my course?
- Scottish School of Forestry
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Progress to Certificate in Forestry
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Conservation and the Rural Environment SCQF Level 4
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Inverness. UHI Inverness operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.