Certificate in Forestry SCQF Level 5
What is special about this course?
Scotland's forestry industry is growing and is set to expand substantially over the next decade, with the management of forests in Scotland and the processing of Scottish timber a major contributor to the Scottish economy. It means there's no better time to join the industry.
The Certificate in Forestry will to provide you with the underpinning knowledge and practical skills needed to be a skilled craftsperson in forestry, one of the most interesting and diverse rural sectors.
The Scottish School of Forestry has close links with industry and strong partnerships with agencies including the Forestry Commission, the Cairngorms National Park Authority and Scottish Natural Heritage, as well as private companies like Euroforest, Tilhill and BSW Timber.
The Certificate will give you practical skills, as well as insight into types of forests in the UK and the diverse range of management activities. The course includes off-site visits, practical activities and talks from industry experts.
- You should be a minimum preferred age of 17 by the start of the course.
- 3 passes at National 4
- Have an interest in working in woodland conservation and management
- All applicants are invited to interview.
- Forestry in Britain
- Tractor operations
- Introduction to forest harvesting
- Use of a clearing saw
- Forest harvesting machinery
- Health and safety at work for forestry workers
- Construction of fences with an access device
- Communication (Intermediate 2)
- Information and communication technology
- Numeracy (Intermediate 2)
- Production and Care of Young Trees
- Working for yourself
- ATV operations
- Identification of tree species
- Control of unwanted vegetation
- Routine chainsaw maintenance
- Control pollution incidents
- Felling small trees using a chainsaw
- Removal of branches from felled trees
- Cross cut timber using a chainsaw
- Taking down hung up trees
- Studies Advisor
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Full time
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Scottish School of Forestry
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
You may be eligible to apply for an Educational Maintenance Allowance or Bursary.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Advanced Certificate in Forestry
- Working within the forestry industry.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Certificate in Forestry SCQF Level 5
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Inverness. UHI Inverness operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.