What is special about this course?
The sport and fitness market continues to expand and this course will provide with a general introduction to the sport and leisure industries and to fitness, health and exercise. This is a nationally recognised SQA programme, where you will gain a National Certificate in Sport and Fitness. The course is a combination of practical and theory. You will develop essential skills for working in the lesiure and fitness industry, including team work, leadership and fitness trends. You'll build confidence and knowledge in various practical subjects such as basketball, football, rugby and athletics, and discover the underpinning knowledge around subjects including nutrition, anatomy and physiology.
The course will enable you to progress on to further study or employment in the leisure industry.
- Your commitment to sport should be evident from your personal statement.
- Three Standard Grades at 3 or above or three National 4s at a pass is desirable.
- Involvement with a sports club is also desirable.
- You might be asked to attend an interview.
The course includes a combination of theory and practical work.
- Athletics (off-site, at the Queens Park Athletics Stadium, Inverness)
- Contemporary fitness - learn how to lead a fitness session including warm-up, cool down and programme design
- Sport officiating - learn the rules of basketball and run a tourament
- Developing leadership
- Teamwork through sport and recreation
- Anatomy and physiology
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
Face to face.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Students who successfully complete this course can progress onto Sport Studies (SCQF Level 6). Students may also go onto employment in a range of leisure and fitness roles including leisure assistants.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.