What is special about this course?
This course is aimed at those who work in the fish farming industry, carrying out the daily husbandry duties on either a freshwater or marine site. The SVQ 2 Aquaculture is a recognised qualification which has been designed by the industry. It can be useful for progression within the student's place of work and is particularly useful for those without any formal qualifications in aquaculture. It offers the candidate the opportunity to demonstrate the skills they have learnt, and also fill any gaps in their knowledge and understanding of the fish farm industry.
Candidates need to be employed in a fish farm with at least three months experience.
To obtain the full qualification you must achieve 10 units: 7 mandatory and 3 optional.
- Prepare holding units to receive fish
- Prepare and gather live fish
- Carry out routine maintenance and repairs on aquaculture facilities
- Monitor the aquatic production environment
- Maintain environmental conditions within holding
- Work safely in an aquatic environment
- Prepare to and feed fish
- Stock fish into holding units
- Grade live fish
- Prepare to and harvest fish
- Collect information on fish growth and development
- Prepare to and treat health problems in fin fish
- Spawn fish and fertilise fish eggs
- Establish and maintain green egg incubation
- Prepare and maintain fish eggs in a hatchery
- Care for juvenile fish
- Prepare for the transport of live fish
- Transport live fish
- Prepare and operate small craft
How will I study my course?
- Work based
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
SVQ 3 Aquaculture
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.