What is special about this course?
This pre-apprenticeship programme gives candidates specialist training in a range ofengineering skills. Skills covered are welding, fabrication, pipefitting and machining. This course also forms the first part of a Modern Apprenticeship.
Entry requirements (mature students)
- There are no formal entry requirements
- All candidates will be interviewed and entry is at the discretion of college staff.
Entry requirements (school leavers)
- Preferable to have all Core Skills at Intermediate 1 level
- All candidates will be interviewed.
This 1-year full-time course offers the opportunity to specialise in one of the following disciplines:
- Fabrication and Welding
- Mechanical and Machining
- Pipefitting and Welding
Please specify on application.
Manufacture/Production – provides the opportunity for people to train to work on;
- milling machines
- grinding & boring machines
- a range of CNC (computer numerical control) machines.
Fabrication and Welding – typical subjects include:
- TIG (tungsten inert gas welding)
- Stick manual metal arc welding)
- MIG (metal inert gas welding)
- spot welding (car body welding)
- plating & general fabrication
- testing:destructive and non-destructive (ultrasonic, dye penetrant, MPI [magnetic particle inspection])
- use of rolling, flanging and cutting machinery.
Welding and Pipefitting – typical subjects include:
- pipe forming and joining in a range of materials
- system design and testing
- welding technology
- welding procedures
- specification and testing
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
The course is mainly practical but includes some related theory.
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- SVQ 3 On-site Assessment in Fabrication and Welding/Maintenance/Manufacture/Production for those in employment. Must be employed in a relevant discipline
- Employment as a modern apprentice in an engineering discipline, such as manufacturing engineering, fabrication and welding engineering or maintenance engineering
- HNC Fabrication, Welding and Inspection
- HNC Engineering Practice.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.