Degree Module: Sociology of the Family
The module aims to provide an introduction to sociological concepts and issues through a focus on the family and broader connecting issues.
You will explore the following themes:
- Introduction to sociological concepts;
- The family as a social institution;
- Family structures;
- Family ideology;
- Socialisation and social roles;
- Marriage and its alternatives;
- Social trends;
- Social policy and the family;
- Poverty and effects on family;
On successful completion, you will be able to:
- Identify the sociological significance of family and kinship in relation to different theoretical interpretations;
- Describe and explore a range of factors involved in socialisation processes in relation to roles, structures and historical changes;
- Informatively discuss contemporary issues relating to demography, class and diversity;
- Identify and evaluate areas of social policy affecting the modern family.
Students should have passed 2 Highers at C or above.
Mode of delivery: Online
Duration: Semester 2 only - January to May
Next steps: HNC Social Sciences/ BSc (Hons) Social Sciences depending on additional qualifications and experience.