Skills for Work: Automotive Skills
Face to face
This course provides a broad introduction to car mechanics. Practical experiences of carrying out basic vehicle checks are included as well as the specific skills involved in removal and replacement of components and mechanisms.
• Automotive Skills: The Garage – You will learn about the retail automotive industry and the range of jobs and responsibilities within it. You will also be introduced to health and safety in vehicle service and repair workshops.
• Automotive Skills: The Technician – You will learn the names, functions and serviceability of automotive components, and how to work safely in an automotive engineering environment. There will also be opportunities to learn how to use a range of common hand tools as well as more specialised equipment, such as the torque wrench and trolley jack.
• Automotive Skills: The Car – For this unit you will learn basic safety checks, wheel changing and valeting, as carried out by technicians in the industry. You will gain experience of removing and refitting vehicle service items.
• Automotive Skills: The Vehicle Modification Project – In this project, you will apply all the skills you have learnt on the course, as well as solving the kind of problems facing an automotive technician.
Mode of delivery: Face to face, Fridays, 9am to 3.30pm.
Duration: One academic year (August/September to May/June)
- IMI Certificate in Light Vehicle Repair;
- Introduction to Engineering;
- A Modern Apprenticeship in either the automotive or engineering sectors.