This course will develop your practical skills and increase your knowledge of the construction industry through project-based learning. You will learn about careers in the built environment (construction technician) or construction craft sectors and gain knowledge and understanding of the skills needed.
Level SCQF 5
Delivery Face-to-Face | Friday, 9am to 3.30pm
Location Inverness Campus
Duration 1 Year
The course aims to:
- Inspire and enthuse learners to consider a career in the built environment or construction crafts sectors.
- Give learners the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of, and develop skills in, the built environment and construction crafts sectors. Broad knowledge and skills that should be developed as learners undertake the qualification are:
(a) Study skills, including basic processes, materials and terminology.
(b) The ability to define and solve problems.
(c) Ability to be flexible while working alone or co-operatively with others.
(d) Oral, written and graphical skills.
(e) Practical craft skills and dexterity.
(f) Numerical and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills.
- Support progression to a more specialised SCQF level 6 academic or vocational qualification.
- Give learners the potential opportunity in due course, to enter employment within a wide range of entry-level job roles across the built environment or construction crafts sectors.
- Develop construction craft skills to enable completion of a range of practical construction activities.
- Identify and take account of some of the consequences directly relating to sustainability.
- Develop a basic awareness of the construction industry in terms of work sectors, careers and types of buildings found in built environments in the UK.
- Use, with guidance, given stages of construction affecting health and safety, construction materials and carry out construction methods.
One pass at National 4.