National 5 Environmental Science
In this one year course you will develop a scientific awareness of the environmental issues that we all face. This is a blend of science and social science to help you understand and investigate the world in an engaging and enjoyable way. During the course you will investigate the living environment in terms of ecosystems and biodiversity, the interdependence of all living organisms and the impact the human race has on the living environment. You will also learn about the Earth's resources and issues of sustainability of food, water and energy. The course is both theoretical and practical. In the practical aspect you will learn scientific techniques both in the field and in the lab. Assessment of the course is part examination and part course assignment.
Level SCQF 5
Delivery Blended | Friday, 9am to 4pm
Location Inverness Campus
Duration 1 Year
- Investigating ecosystems and biodiversity;
- Human influences on biodiversity.
- An overview of Earth systems and their interactions;
- The geosphere;
- The hydrosphere;
- The biosphere;
- The atmosphere.
- An introduction to sustainability;
- Waste management
Science Highers Programme
- A pass at National 4 in one of the science subjects or in Geography or a similar subject.