This qualification is one of the most required for entry to Higher Education and Degree courses. You will develop and extend a range of reading skills through studying, analysing and responding to a wide variety of informational, literary and media texts which contain complex ideas.
This course is delivered by blended learning, using an online learning platform, Webex and our virtual learning environment (VLE) called Brightspace. Learning materials will be provided as a mixture of paper-based and through the VLE, Brightspace. You will work through the learning materials and complete tasks as requested by your lecturer. During induction students will learn how to use the VLE, which is an integral part of the course delivery.
Blended | Monday 6pm - 8pm
Additionally, you will participate each week in 2 (one hour) online tutorials which will be confirmed when your class starts.
This course is delivered by blended learning, using an online learning platform - Webex and our virtual learning environment (VLE) called Brightspace.
You will have to attend an assessment centre to complete:
- Closed book assessment (potentially in November)
- Final Exam
Your lecturer will discuss this with you.
This course consists of the following two units which are internally assessed and a written folio and exam - both external assessed by SQA.
- English: Analysis and Evaluation (Higher) H23H 76
- English: Creation and Production (Higher) H23T 76
You will develop reading, writing, listening and talking skills:
- Listening skills are practised in a variety of contexts which will arise as part of language and literary study in the course, for example, watching broadcasts and group discussion of texts.
- Writing skills will be developed by employing different registers, formats and styles to fulfil a variety of purposes.
- The talking skills will be practised in a variety of contexts which will arise as part of the language and literary study in the course through, for example, presenting information and opinions and discussion of issues and texts.
The evening sessions, which you will attend from home, are mandatory. Further to these, you will be expected to join a one-hour online tutorial once a week; this can also be done from home. There is also an element of self-study which will be required each week; students should allow at least 2 hours per week for this.
To gain the award of the course, students must achieve all the component units, complete a written folio and external exam.
Where you can go...
Higher English is an entry requirement for a large number of university courses and is a valued qualification by employers.
Minimum 3 passes at National 5 level, including English.
You will be expected to have achieved English SCQF Level 5 or equivalent. An entrance test must be undertaken if you have not achieved an appropriate English course. You should apply for this course and sit the entrance assignment, if necessary. Entry will be at the discretion of the college