Foundation Apprenticeships are work-based qualifications for senior phase pupils. They combine the best of academic and vocational learning in one single qualification.
Do you love being creative? Have you thought about working in film, TV, radio, publishing, games or online media? A Foundation Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media could be your foot in the door.
Employers are looking for people who understand visual communicationfor their brands, how to build communities through web and social media platforms and have design and technical skills. You’ll try out creative roles, shadow experienced professionals, or do a special project. You’ll build the practical skills and experience you need to do the job well.
- SCQF 6
- Highland Council Virtual Schools
- 1 - 2 Years
Our Foundation Apprenticeships can be completed over one or two years depending on your qualifications and commitments when you begin the course.
If you wish to apply for this course to be completed in one year, you will need to demonstrate a commitment and the ability to complete both the study and the work experience required within the year. You should discuss this with your guidance teacher.
The National Progression Award will include units in:
- Creative industries: an introduction - Scotland
- Storytelling for the creative industries
- Understanding the creative process
- Understanding a creative brief
You will also
- work on a media project producing a creative and digital item to a given brief
- gain extended work experience with an industry partner
- develop essential skills for the workplace
You will be assessed on your performance in the following units:
- Present ideas and information to others in the creative industries
- Work effectively with others in the creative industries
- Develop own professional practice in the creative industries
- Work with digital media
- Manage and market yourself as a freelancer in the creative industries
- Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
A Foundation Apprenticeship can give you so many more options....you could:
- Gain entry to the Modern Apprenticeship in Creativeand Digital Media at SCQF Level 7
- Progress to a Modern Apprenticeship in Creative and Cultural or Digital Applications at SCQF Level 6
- Move on to an HNC, HND or degree study in a relatedsubject
- Start work in the industry or become a freelancer
...some of the key roles in this sector are: graphic designer; web designer; animation; setbuilder; games artist; art director; photographer; video producer; textile technologist; script editor; app designer.
- You must already have three passes at National 5
- You should be capable of working at SCQF Level 6 (the same level as a Higher)
- You will need to have a high level of motivation and commitment to learn