What to expect
We hope that you are excited about starting your course and looking forward to the challenge. The first few weeks of study are important. This page will provide all the information you need to hit the ground running and what to expect from your induction.
You’ll receive induction information in July, inviting you to attend an enrolment session during w/c 27th August or 3rd September. For January starts, you'll receive this information in December. If you have not received details regarding your induction date/time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At this induction session, you will be:
- Introduced to your Personal Development Advisor (PDA) or Personal Academic Tutor (PAT), depending on your level of study. Your PDA/PAT will provide you with academic support throughout the duration of your studies. Your PDA/PAT is your key point of contact and is there to help you succeed in your studies and will signpost you to any support you require;
- Be invited to enrol if you have not done so online. If you haven't done this, visit the 'Before You Arrive' section of this website to find out how to enrol online.
- Receive your student identification card (you will get your photograph taken so be prepared!);
- You will be introduced to SkillZone - our one stop shop for study skills. We also recommend familiarising yourself with our essential study skills guide.
- You will attend a briefing by the Student Support Team, where you will find out about the student support services available, how to report absences, advice on funding, who your student association (HISA) representatives are, and our services including the Library, Learning Resource Centre, and wellbeing team.
- Your PDA/PAT will outline the content of your course, signpost you to where to find your course handbook, and introduce you to key staff relevant to your study. Timetables are issued with induction information. Speak to your PAT if you have not received a timetable.
- During your induction, you will also receive information regarding car parking arrangements and how to obtain a permit. It’s important all students who intend to use the car parks at Inverness College UHI obtain a permit prior to the end of September. Inverness College UHI is reviewing its management arrangements for its car parks to minimise misuse and improve safety and it’s important we have accurate information regarding usage by staff and students.
- You will be made familiar with our campus and where to find everything.
ICT Support – what you need to do
Watch this video to find out how to login on to our computers, access Wi-Fi, find the MyDay student portal – a one stop shop for all student related information – and use the printers/photocopiers.
We recommend setting up OneDrive for Students, which gives you 1TB of cloud storage for saving your documents. Guidance is available here.
We recommend students download the ‘myday’ student portal smart phone app.
Login via your user ID (email@example.com) and password. This will give you access to the student portal at home, including your email and calendar.
You may find the following tiles on the myday student portal useful:
- Parking permits
- Mobile print
- Food and beverage feedback
- UHI Records
Please contact our ICT Team if you are having difficulties with any of the above.
Courses at Inverness College UHI range from those delivered completely face to face to those that are delivered 100 per cent only. Most lie somewhere in between, with several different formats used to deliver the course. This is commonly referred to as blended learning.
During your studies, you will use a vritual learning environment known as Brightspace. You will also find a link to Brightspace on myday. Your Personal Development Advisor (PDA) or Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) will introduce you to Brightspace when you start. Login using your user ID (student number) and password.
This is where you will find additional induction information, including campus maps, opening hours, information on the Highlands and Islands Students' Association and our academic calendar.
Brightspace is used by many teaching staff to upload course information for students. It also highlights areas where we can offer you support.