Inverness College UHI is a key partner in Scotland’s newest university, the University of the Highlands and Islands. As a tertiary institution, the College delivers the further and higher education provision in this part of Scotland, a region which continues to see growth and development. This is an exciting time for Inverness College UHI. Our new College buildings on the Inverness Campus and at Balloch are now complete and our doors open to students. Our curriculum, from Access level to Postgraduate, is evolving in response to current and projected future demands, building on our already well-established and thriving provision. Our engagement with employers, schools and other stakeholders is deepening and strengthening.
Guidance for Applicants
Thank you for expressing an interest in working with Inverness College. The following information provides some general information about working at the College, plus guidance on completing your application online.
We will make reasonable adjustments to enable all applicants to fully participate in our selection process. If you wish to discuss your application needs, please contact the HR team on 01463 273210.
Inverness College UHI as an Employer of choice
We aim to be an employer of choice within the Highlands and Islands and we are committed to providing modern employment practices which promote equality, respect diversity, support individuals and make the best use of our talented workforce.
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer our employees
- Generous annual leave allocation
- Generous final salary pension arrangements - Support staff of the College have the option of joining the Local Government Pension Scheme as administered by Highland Council. Teaching staff of the College have the option of joining the Scottish Teacher’s Superannuation Scheme as administered by the Scottish Public Pensions Agency.
- Occupational sick pay scheme (subject to qualifying service and conditions)
- Access to occupational health and welfare support services
- Excellent learning and development opportunities
- Nursery services at Inverness Campus
- Use of gym and fitness equipment at Inverness Campus
Inverness College UHI is fully committed to Equal Opportunities for everyone and a copy of our Equal Opportunities policy is available on our main website. We are also committed to Staff Development through a well resourced Staff Development Programme.
Completing the application form
The application form is provided as a Word document for you to download and complete. Once completed your application form should be attached and submitted via the application page of this website. Do not attach a separate CV as this will not be referred to. You are advised to carefully read the job description and person specification for the post to ensure that you meet the relevant criteria.
Further information in support of your application
This section provides the opportunity for you to present your skills, experience, knowledge, qualifications and personal qualities, which are relevant to the Person Specification and Job Description. You do not have to copy the text from the Person Specification, but please provide the information in the same order as the Person Specification. You should respond to each item on the Person Specification in detail, indicating how you meet or have the potential to meet the criteria. Remember to :
- be specific about your relevant skills, knowledge, experience, qualifications and personal qualities
- explain how you have used them and with what results
- explain how you would use them for the post applied for
- use information about your current and/or previous employment and voluntary work, community or leisure interests to respond to the items on the Person Specification
Where possible, give examples and be prepared to develop these during an interview.
The referees that you nominate should have knowledge of your work, preferably from a line manager’s perspective and therefore family members and friends should not be given as referees. References will not taken up without your express permission prior to an offer of employment being made by the College.
Only staff involved in the selection process will have access to the information contained on your application form. All details will be held in the strictest confidence, stored on the Human Resources computer system, and processed in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1988.
Read our privacy notice.
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
When you submit your application form we also ask for information under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Employment with Inverness College is exempt from the provisions of Sections 4(2) and 4(3)b of this Act by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) (Amendments) Order 1986. Applicants are therefore not entitled to withhold information about convictions which, for other purposes, are “spent” under the provisions of the Act. Our selection process includes reference to Disclosure Scotland. This is to safeguard our staff, students and service users and information disclosed will be treated in accordance with Disclosure Scotland’s good practice advice.
The selection process
When the application period for the advertised post has closed, all applications will be short listed against the Person Specification. Where applicants’ information on their application evidences that they meet the criteria identified on the Person Specification, they will be invited for interview.
The elements of the selection process will vary, dependent upon the post applied for. In all cases, short listed candidates will be invited for an interview. In addition, where appropriate for the post, interviewees may be required to undertake a practical, written or group exercise, take a written or online assessment or deliver a presentation to the selection panel.
If you are invited to attend an interview you should ensure that you bring with you the originals of any educational certificates that you hold, and proof of your eligibility to work in the UK. If after the selection process, we wish to pursue your application we will take up references and Disclosure Scotland checks.
Interviewees from outside a 25 mile radius of the College will be offered reasonable travel and subsistence expenses.
We hope this information helps you complete your application. Should you have any queries, please contact the HR team on 01463 273210 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The College is not able to accept speculative applications or CVs. Please sign up for RSS feeds, which will notify you of all vacancies as and when they arise.
- Lecturer - Optometry
- Lecturer Supply - Forest Machine Operations
- Business Solutions Advisor (Fixed Term Contract)
- Lecturer - Engineering Technology
- Senior Management Team Administration Assistant (Fixed Term Contract)
- Lecturer - Art & Design (Fixed Term Contract)
- Technician – Creative Industries, Drama and Media (Internal Applicants Only)
- SVQ Assessor -Social Services, Children & Young People
- Technician – Construction (Plumbing)
- Curriculum Development Fellow – Smart Systems Engineering