Modern Apprenticeship: Built Environment SCQF 6/7
Block release (3 blocks for 3 weeks)
How it works...
The programme is a combination of work-based and college training and provides the dual benefit of students gaining a nationally recognised qualification while being paid as they work.
The course is delivered by block release involving 3 blocks of 3 weeks over a year. During the blocks, classes will be scheduled over 5 days a week and delivery will be blended with a combination of live lectures which may be face to face or remote and online activities on Brightspace - our Virtual Learning Environment. Outside of blocks, work-based assessment will be carried out and supported with our online portfolio and the VLE.
- Instil your company’s values whilst training
- Motivate existing staff by investing in the workforce and providing supervisory opportunities
- Develop up to date and relevant skills and qualifications
- Cost effective training supported by funding from Skills Development Scotland (up to 100% funding depending on age and eligibility criteria)
- Create and retain a modern skilled workforce
- Debt-free learning
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- A route to great pay
- Career progression opportunities
- Significant experience to enhance your CV
- Possible support with travel costs if coming to college
This course is ideal for modern apprentices working as Architectural Technicians, Construction Managers or Quantity Surveyors.
Modern apprentices will study HNC Built Environment, an SQA qualification that is accredited by Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB). The course provides the essential common knowledge of all Built Environment professionals. You will also complete the SVQ Construction Contracting Operations: Site Technical Support; Construction Contracting Operations: Estimating; or Building Environment Design, dependent on your profession.
Units you will study:-
- Computer Aided Design
- Architectural Design Sketching and Drawing
- Construction Technology: Substructure
- Construction Technology: Domestic Construction
- Building Services: an introduction
- Building Measurement and Cost Studies
- Building Science
- Construction Site Surveying
- Health and Safety in Construction
- Construction Materials and Specification
- Sustainability and Modern Methods of Construction
- Built Environment: Graded Unit
You will also complete a SVQ in a construction related discipline relevant to your work:-
- Site based technician (Construction Management) - Construction Contracting Operations: Site Technical Support
- Design based technician (Architectural Technician) - Built Environment Design: Engineering route
- Commercial technician (Quantity Surveyor, estimating) - Construction Contracting Operations: Estimating
- General technician (Client) - Construction Contracting Operations: General
What you need...
Entry requirements for this modern apprenticeship are:-
- National Certificate in Built Environment, or
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering, or
- National Certificate in Civil Engineering, or
- One Higher, or
- Previous construction/trade craft experience.
Applicants need to be motivated, work well as a team, and work to high standards.
Applicants need to have access to a laptop or desktop pc.
Where you can go...
- Technical Apprenticeship: Construction Management (HND Construction Management, SCQF 8 and SVQ in Construction Contracting Management: General, SCQF 8/9). Quantity Surveying (HND Quantity Surveying, SCQF 8 and SVQ in Construction Contracting Operations Management: General, SCQF 8/9).
- BSc Hons Architectural Technology
- SVQ in Construction Contracting Operations Management: General, SCQF 8/9