Hospitality sector apprenticeships provide opportunities to enhance employees’ technical skills and underpinning knowledge.
SVQ Level 2
How it works...
A Modern Apprenticeship is a work-based qualification for people employed in the industry. The programme is a combination of work-based and college training and provides the dual benefit of students gaining a nationally recognised qualification while being paid as they work.
- Instil your company’s values whilst training
- Motivate existing staff by investing in the workforce and providing supervisory opportunities
- Develop up to date and relevant skills and qualifications
- Cost effective training supported by funding from Skills Development Scotland (up to 100% funding depending on age and eligibility criteria)
- Create and retain a modern skilled workforce
- Debt-free learning
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- A route to great pay
- Career progression opportunities
- Significant experience to enhance your CV
- Possible support with travel costs if coming to college
This work-based qualification is delivered in partnership with the employer, student and the training provider.
Registration and certification of the qualification is through the awarding body People 1st. They comprise of a SVQ qualification, Core Skills and mandatory training IOSH Working Safely and REHIS Elementary Hygiene Certificate.
Candidates develop a portfolio of evidence which enables them to match their skills and knowledge to nationally agreed standards for professional chefs.
Candidates will use an electronic portfolio to gather the practice and knowledge required to fulfil the occupational standards for the course.
Examples of units:
- Maintain and Handle Knives
- Prepare Meat for Basic Dishes
- Prepare Poultry for Basic Dishes
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Basic Cold and Hot Desserts
- Cook and Finish Basic Fish Dishes
- Cook and Finish Basic Meat Dishes
- Cook and Finish Basic Poultry Dishes
- Make Basic Stocks
- Set up and Close Kitchen
What you need...
Applicants must be employed in the kitchen of a café, bistro, restaurant, or hotel preparing and cooking food. Applicants need to be motivated and work to high hygiene and food standards.
This course is suitable for school leavers.
Where you can go...
- Enhanced career prospects
- Become Junior Chef de Partie