This industry is highly specialised and can involve working with a vast array of machines, materials and equipment: from planting stock and chemicals through to chainsaws, harvesters and computer software.
SCQF levels 5 & 6 available
How it works...
A Modern Apprenticeship is a work-based qualification for people employed in the industry. The programme is a combination of work-based and college training and provides the dual benefit of students gaining a nationally recognised qualification while being paid as they work.
- Instil your company’s values whilst training
- Motivate existing staff by investing in the workforce and providing supervisory opportunities
- Develop up to date and relevant skills and qualifications
- Cost effective training supported by funding from Skills Development Scotland (up to 100% funding depending on age and eligibility criteria)
- Create and retain a modern skilled workforce
- Debt-free learning
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- A route to great pay
- Career progression opportunities
- Significant experience to enhance your CV
- Possible support with travel costs if coming to college
Arboriculture and forestry both involve working with and around trees, and forests and woodland are an important resource for timber, amenity and recreation, tourism and biodiversity. Forestry focuses on the management of forests and woodland, whereas arboriculture centres on the cultivation, management and care for individual trees or groups of trees, with the primary aim of maintaining them for amenity purposes.
A wide range of skills and knowledge is therefore required as there is a significant variety of jobs and tasks involved.
What you need...
Candidates need to be employed in an arboriculture and forestry environment.
Where you can go...
Learners completing the SCQF Level 5 Trees and Timber Modern Apprenticeship will be able to progress onto the SCQF Level 6 General Woodland and Forestry Treework Modern Apprenticeship.
- Forestry craftsman
- Forestry establishment contract worker
- Forestry harvesting
- Forestry greenwood forest worker
- Ground worker
- General forest worker