What is special about this course?
If you are passionate about architecture and the technology that surrounds design in the built environment, then this innovative BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology course is for you.
You will gain the theoretical and project-based skills required within a modern architectural practice, including an excellent understanding of managing projects from conception through to completion.
The course combines simulated design office practice, site visits and regular project work to ensure that you gain the necessary skills demanded by the architectural industry, such as building information modelling and technical design.
Working with professionally qualified tutors you will gain valuable and essential skills making you highly employable as an architectural technologist.
The majority of our employer partners recruit from our programme and indicate that our graduates have an excellent understanding of the design and technical process of projects and are able to enter industry and be effective contributors to their architectural practices from day one.
- An innovative course that prepares you to work within a modern architectural practice and the opportunity to work on 'live' projects during your studies, which is unique for this degree subject
- You will study advanced computer technology using 2D and 3D Computer Aided Design in the most advanced design suite of any built by a university in Scotland
- Dynamic interactive lectures with site visits and architectural tours
- Project-based workshops and design studio work with visiting professionals
- You can study full-time or part-time to suit your personal circumstances
We offer modern student accommodation at a number of our locations.
- 4 Scottish Highers at grade BBCC or above OR
- 3 A levels at grade BCC or above
- These should preferably be in Maths, Physics, Graphic Communication, Design and Manufacture or Art and Design
- the completion of an HNC in a construction-related subject such as: HNC Civil Engineering; HNC Architectural Technology; HNC Quantity Surveying; or HNC Construction Management; OR
- Foundation Apprenticeship Civil Engineering PLUS 2 Scottish Highers in Maths plus a Design-related subject
- Applicants with other qualifications or experience will be considered on an individual basis
Advanced entry to year two:
- Direct entry to year two may be possible with an HNC Architectural Technology, with a B or above in the Graded Unit
Advanced entry to year three:
- Direct entry to year three may be possible with an HND Architectural Technology or Computer Aided Architectural Design and Technology, or equivalent
Relevant Scottish Wider Access Programmes (SWAP):
- Access to: Engineering (Edinburgh College)
- Access to: Engineering (Fife College)
- Access to: Engineering (North East College)
Year 1 - CertHE
Core modules are:
- Architectural Technology 1
- Construction Technology 1
- Design Studio 1
- Technical Studio 1
- Integrated Technology
- Project 1
Year 2 - DipHE
Core modules are:
- Architectural Technology 2
- Construction Technology 2
- Design Studio 2
- Technical Studio 2
- Environmental Technology 1
- Project 2
Year 3 - BSc
Core modules are:
- Architectural technology 3
- Construction technology 3
- Technical studio 3
- Environmental technology 2
- Project management
- Project 3
Year 4 - BSc (Hons)
Core modules are:
- Advanced Professional Practice (architecture)
- Alternative Design Technologies
- Architectural Entrepreneurship
- An honours project
You must also complete a dissertation as part of your honours project.
How will I study my course?
- You will learn through a combination of face-to-face lectures and tutorials, design studio and group work, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support from your tutors
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years @ 40 hours per week
- Part-time (structured): 8 years @ 20 hours per week
Where can I study my course?
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time (120 credit modules) per year||£1,820||£1,820|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year||£645||£645|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)||£215||£215|
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
**4th year free only for students studying full-time who have paid for the previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Part-time (per 20 credit module) - £1,500 (2017-18 and 2018-19).
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Full-time per year (120 credit modules) per year||£11,550||£12,200|
|Part-time (structured) (3 x 20 credit modules) per year**||£5,775||£6,100|
|Part-time (unstructured per module) (per 20 credit module)**||£1,925||£2,034|
**There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international. students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed your BSc Architectural Technology course, you might like to consider a career as a graduate architectural technologist within private practice, local government design offices and large building firms.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.