Beauty Care NC
What is special about this course?
Enter the exciting and evolving world of the beauty industry with this qualification.
You will gain the knowledge and skills required to carry out treatments for face, body, nails, as well as make-up application.
There is a combination of theory and practical on this course. An element of self-study is also required.
Initially you will practice your newly found skills on each other before progressing onto clients in the Breagh training salons.
This course also includes Higher National units in body massage and depilation and prepares you for progression to the Higher National Certificate in Beauty.
- Three passes at credit grade National 5 including Engish. Biology is desirable.
- Ideally applicants will have completed the Level 5 Beauty Care and Make-up.
- Your personal statement should reflect your desire to work in this field. Communication skills, a willingness to learn practical skills and working with the general public are essential.
- Ideally, applicants will have experience/knowledge and interest in beauty.
- Applicants are encouraged from mature students who may not have formal qualifications but have skills required to meet the demands of the course.
Additional selection requirements:
Entry to the course is based on you:-
- Meeting the above entry requirements, and
- Attending a course information and selection day
You will study subjects including:
- Facial techniques and facial treatment packages: Prepare the skin for facial treatment, learn skin analysis and product selection appropriate for your clients.
- Eye enhancements: Learn the art of tinting brows and lashes, shape brows and apply false lashes.
- Manicure, pedicure and nail finishes
- Creative current make-up trends
- Scalp, neck and shoulder massage
- Body massage treatments
- Depilation: Temporary hair removal using warm and hot wax.
- The human body: learn the body systems to gain an understanding of the various treatments.
- Commercial work experience: run a commercial salon to develop your practical skills.
- Working with others: build team relations, organise team events and develop customer service skills.
- Core skills: communications, ICT and numeracy may be included on your course.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Face to face
- Online resources
- Group work
- Role play
- Opportunities to attend external visits, eg Scottish Beauty Show and International Make up Artistry Trade Show (IMATS), London.*
- External training opportunities, eg Eve Taylor product knowledge and Steiner Cruise Liner international recruitment talk.
- Inverness College UHI is working in exclusive partnership with Sweet Squared, and students get the opportunity to access training from educational ambassadors in treatments such as Shellac, wax one and Brisa gel and Moroccan tanning enabling you to gain industry recognised qualifications in recognised beauty brands at a reduced price.*
- Industry CPD*
As part of your course, you will work with community groups and participate in fundraising events to enhance your experience.
The course is timetabled for up to 3 days per week between 9am and 5pm, with the possibility of an early evening session.
*Additional costs apply
How long will my course last?
1 year full-time
2 years part-time
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- HNC Beauty Therapy
- HNC Fashion Make-Up
- Employment in the beauty industry as a Beauty Therapist or Skin Care Consultants.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
What our students, graduates and staff say
NC Beauty Care has been designed with employer feedback in mind to ensure the course meets current beauty industry requirements. We engage with a range of employers and suppliers through a series of guest lectures, visits and events, and we take part in various competitions. Students carry out treatments during term time on the general public, staff and students in our salons, equipped with the latest equipment and technology, Lecturers and student services staff support and encourage students to attain the best they can.
Tracey Shand, Beauty Lecturer
Apply for Beauty Care NC
We are no longer accepting applications for 2021/22
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at Inverness College UHI. Inverness College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.