What is special about this course?
This qualification builds the skills needed to become a trainee hairdresser in today’s exciting and fast-paced hairdressing industry.
Take your skills to higher level, and develop artistic flair and creative talent in cutting and colouring, styling and dressing.
This course is designed to help you become a junior stylist at the end of the programme. It is the perfect springboard for a future career in hairdressing. During the year you will learn all aspects of salon work from styling to cutting and colouring, and health and safety skills.
Our training salon provides the perfect setting to practice your new-found skills in a commercial environment. You are encouraged to actively seek work experience in a local salon.
You will also have the opportunity to take part in competitions, volunteer for projects such as fashion shows or drama productions, organise fundraising events for charity and learn from industry experts.
To succeed in hairdressing, you will need to be passionate, creative, committed and enjoy working with people.
Support is available from student services and lecturers to assist you throughout your course.
Your personal statement should reflect your passion for the industry. Applicants should be effective communicators, have artistic flair and ability, good personal presentation, physical stamina and a high level of manual dexterity.
Students should ideally have completed the Introduction to Hairdressing.
Ideally applicants may have experience, knowledge and interest in hairdressing or hold 3 passes at General grade National 4 including English (preferable) and Art.
- Plait and twist hair
- Shampoo and condition hair
- Style and finish - a range of blow drying and finishing techniques.
- Set and dress - using rollers and electrical equipment to style hair.
- Change hair colour - Product selection, application techniques to change hair colour.
- Basic cutting - Four basic techniques to create a range of looks.
- Customer care. Advise and consult with clients about a range of services.
- Develop and maintain effectiveness at work - Develop working relationships with clients and colleagues, as well as your own personal development.
- Information and communication technology
- Working with others.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Full and part time, work based.
- Face to face and practical activities in a realistic salon environment.
- Online resources.
- Group work.
- External training opportunitiies, eg guest visitors such as local hairdressing stylists.
- Competition work - an in-house hairdressing competition organised to develop confidence and skills.
- As part of your course, you will work with community groups and participate in fundraising events to enhance your experience.
- You are encouraged to research and practice skills and techniques learned outwith college hours.
The full time 18-month course is timetabled for up to 3 days per week between 9am and 5pm, with the possibility of an early evening session.
How long will my course last?18 Months
Where can I study my course?
- Inverness Campus
August or January
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Hairdressingl SCQF level 5, SVQ 2
- Employment within the industry
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
You can start this course in either August or January.
To start in January 2023 Click Here
To start in August 2023 Click Here
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI Inverness. UHI Inverness operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.