Holiday Toolkit (Out of Hours)

Advice content


We recognise some students may need support over the holidays when our campuses are closed.

This toolkit will provide some useful signposts to help you

Please do not suffer in silence. There is support out there for you.

Spectrum Life, our Student Assistance Programme

Unlimited access to a telephone helpline, 24/7, 365 days a year

Offering help and support in managing whatever personal, study or work issues you are facing

We hope you have an enjoyable, safe break and look forward to welcoming you back after the holidays.


ALISS is a national digital programme enabling people and professionals to find and share information on resources, services, groups, and support in their local communities and online.

Emergency support content

Emergency support

Emergency support

If you're in immediate danger of hurting yourself or others:

  • Go directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get help.
  • Call 999 to request an ambulance if you are unable to reach the hospital yourself

If you're feeling distressed and need urgent support:

  • Contact your GP surgery to request an emergency appointment
  • If your GP surgery isn't open, call the free NHS out-of-hours medical line on 111 for help accessing the right services or contact NHS 111 via their website
  • You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone at any time, day or night
  • James Support Group have a 24/7 Helpline the number is 07563 572471.
  • Free, confidential, 24/7 support is available by text message. Text ‘shout’ to 85258 or visit for more information.
  • text Mikeysline for support
  • information on anxiety, low mood, stress and where you can get help from NHS

For more information visit our emergency support pages.

Care experienced students content

Care experienced students

Care experienced students

The Who Cares? Scotland Helpline is a lifelong offer open to Care Experienced people of any age across Scotland.

What does ‘Care Experienced’ mean?

The term Care Experienced refers to anyone who has been or is currently in care or from a looked-after background at any stage in their life, no matter how short, including adopted children who were previously looked-after. This might include kinship care; looked after at home; residential care; foster care; secure care; or adoption.

What is the helpline?

The Helpline is open 12 noon to 4pm from Monday to Friday. We can be contacted by phoning 0330 107 7540 or emailing

The Helpline offers the following:

  • Connection with Who Cares? Scotland
  • Support and signposting around finances, benefits, housing, health, employment, education, and rights
  • Lifelong advocacy
  • A listening ear

Highlands & Islands - Barnardo's Works Best | Barnardo's (

Who Cares? Scotland


We have our Anchor service in the city centre. It is for 13-18 year olds.

The Anchor is a safe space for young people, if you need somewhere to go/ someone to talk to, we can make you a hot meal / drink and it is open from 3pm until 10:30pm Monday/Wednesday/Friday and Saturday.

Tel or text: 07747345412


1st floor, highland rail house, station square, inverness

Estranged students content

Estranged students

Estranged students

Supporting estranged students in higher education (

An advice centre for students who have no contact with their family. Find information about support, financing your studies and accommodation options as an estranged student.

Foodbank information content

Foodbank information

Foodbank information

Find Your Nearest Foodbank Highland Foodbank.

The app too good to go is great locally

Check out if your town or village has a community fridge

Gender Based Violence - #ItsNotOn content

Gender Based Violence - #ItsNotOn

Gender Based Violence - #ItsNotOn

UHI Inverness believes that all violence and harassment is not acceptable. We are committed to tackling violence and harassment and believe staff and students have the right to live and study in a safe and supportive environment. Sexual Violence and Harassment comes in many forms. It can be physical, emotional, and verbal – anything that makes another person feel uncomfortable or intimidated. We believe that you should never have to put up with violence or harassment. You should never be made to feel uncomfortable by another individual.  

Wherever you may be learning, whether its online or on campus as a student of UHI Inverness we can help you to access the support you might need such as wellbeing & counselling services, study support, accommodation support or financial assistance.

Our student code of conduct clearly states that Gender Based Violence is unacceptable in any environment.

Our staff take care not to share person-identifiable information on protected characteristics without consent (e.g 'outing' LGBTQ people; disclosing pregnancy status)

GBV is NEVER the fault of the victim / survivor and we will not victim-blame, we will listen and we can help.

In instances where students who disclose or report any form of GBV, they will not face disciplinary action for breaching other UHI Inverness policies relating to: drug consumption, underage consumption of alcohol, academic misconduct, any pandemic (lockdown) policies should they be applied. This applies in cases where any breach relates directly to GBV.

We respect that you may ask to speak to a specific member of staff instead (or staff of a particular gender, race, religion or sexuality, for example). We are happy to try and locate another staff member of your choosing and accommodate this request where possible.

You can report any issues seen or experienced to the Student Support Team

You can view our Gender Based Violence Policy for more information

You can view more support information and our online reporting tool on our gender based violence information pages

Information for parents content

Information for parents

Information for parents

Some activities

Money advice content

Money advice

Money advice

Where to get help

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, impartial, independent and confidential advice.

Welfare support

Are you missing out on benefits you might be entitled to, or needing support with money matters or personal budgeting advice? Get in touch for free confidential help and advice.

Scottish welfare fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund helps families and people in Scotland who are on low incomes.

0800 083 1887

You can apply for a:

  • Crisis Grant – if you're in crisis because of a disaster (like a fire or flood), or an emergency (like losing your money or job, or an unexpected expense)
  • Community Care Grant – to help you or someone you care for to start to live, or to carry on living, a settled life in the community

You must be 16 or older and on a low income, or getting certain benefits, to apply for these grants

What We Do - Changeworks They provide advice, information and support to help householders to save energy, be affordably warm and access financial support. This is delivered via their Affordable Warmth service, which provides energy advice and support to people in fuel poverty.

Safety information content

Safety information

Safety information

It is important to consider your personal safety. From securing your home, and taking care when out socialising, to protecting yourself when online, Police Scotland have created a range of advice to help you enjoy the festive season safely.

More safety information and tips can be found on the Highlands and Island Police Division Facebook page or on the Police Scotland webpage.

Students who are carers content

Students who are carers

Students who are carers

Carer Support Line 01463 723560

Connecting Carers Office 01463 723575


Connecting Carers - Connecting Carers & Connecting Young Carers