Emergency Support


If you or someone else is experiencing mental distress and you are worried about your own or someone else's immediate safety:

  • Call 999 or go straight to A+E immediately.
  • If you are calling for someone else, try to establish the person’s, name, contact details and location

If the crisis is not life-threatening but you are concerned for your own or somebody else’s mental wellbeing:

  • Advise them to call NHS 24 on 111 or speak to their GP. The route into formal mental health services is through a GP surgery.
  • If someone discloses to you that they are already being supported for their own mental health, it's useful to link them to where they are currently receiving support

Important Support Line Numbers and Links

Download the HCPP Signposting to Mental Health and Wellbeing Resource for more information and support options

Take some time out to breathe, it will regulaignposting to Mental Health and Wellbeing Resourcete your system and enable you to think clearly about your next step.


The wellbeing team are not available from between 5pm and 9am (GMT) time Monday to Friday) at weekends (Saturday and Sunday) during College-recognised holidays.

What is available is Spectrum.Life your new Wellbeing and SAP Platform & Mobile App

spectrum life logo of a heart

What is Spectrum.Life platform and mobile app and how can it benefit you?

Spectrum.Life will give you access to fitness plans, recipes, and eLearning content related to remote working, sleep and mental health among other topics. In addition, you will have access to numerous health and wellbeing related rewards such as discounted Fitbit Fitness Trackers! The platform also gives you direct access to your Student Assistance Programme (SAP) explained below.

What is Student Assistance Programme (SAP)?

SAP is a confidential in the moment support service that provides support to university students. The SAP service is available 24/7, 365 days a year covering numerous topics such as: Stress, Anxiety, Low mood, Financial worries, Loss & Grief, Relationship problems, Substance abuse issues and much more.

You can access through a confidential, freephone telephone line, an online chat function through the platform or by requesting a call back.

Access the SAP directly by phone or register to the platform below:

Freephone UK and NI: 0808 196 2016
INT: 00353 1 518 0277
SMS/WhatsApp: Text ‘Hi’ to 00353 87 369 0010 (standard rates apply)

How do I get started?

Pro Tip: Use Google Chrome to ensure the best performance of the platform!

Register now to the Spectrum.Life platform and mobile app

Once registered you can bookmark the Spectrum.Life login page

You can download the app by clicking on the below images. Alternatively search for "Spectrum.Life" in your Google Play or Apple Store.

Non life-threatening emergency

If your emergency is not life-threatening but is serious and needs attention quickly, find out where you can get help.


Mikeysline Logo | It's ok not to be ok

It's okay not to be okay.

Mikeysline is here for you every evening of the week to talk things over if you need to, or just to listen if that's what you need most.

TEXT 07786 20 77 55 or via Messenger, Twitter or Live Chat via the Mikeysline website

If you would like to speak on the phone, request a call back.

Sun to Thurs from 6pm – 10pm

Fri/Sat from 7pm – 7am

Breathing Space

Breathing space - open up when you're feeling down

Call breathing space on 0800 83 85 87 to talk about what you're going through.

Other useful numbers content

Other useful numbers

Other useful numbers

  • Police Scotland – non emergency phone contact – 101
  • Raigmore Hospital - 01463 704 000
  • Fire and Rescue Service – 999
  • Coastguard - 999
Mental Health / Risk Crisis content

Mental Health / Risk Crisis

Mental Health / Risk Crisis

However, if someone is in imminent danger, then a call to Police Scotland may be required.


Contact your doctor's surgery and request an emergency appointment.

If your doctor's surgery is not open, contact the NHS Out of Hours Medical Service on 111. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

NHS Mental health crisis team

The crisis team can help you if your mental health is at breaking point.

The service is available 24 hours a day.

This team of psychiatric nurses and Staff Grade Psychiatrist assesses unplanned referrals from across Highland. The team has a remit for assessment and if admission is required, the team can provide up to 72 hours of intensive inpatient assessment, liaising with the sector teams and community teams regarding further care.

01463 704 000

To report an Adult Protection Concern:

During normal office hours:

Outside of normal office hours, at weekends or on public holidays:

  • phone 0808 175 3646 - out-of-hours service

Health or social care workers and professionals should use a different method of reporting.

If someone is in imminent danger a call to the emergency services may be required.

Other phone numbers

  • phone 999 - emergency police and ambulance service
  • phone 101 - non-emergency police
  • phone 111 - NHS 24

Shout (crisis messenger)

Free mental health crisis support across the UK.

The service is available 24 hours a day.

Text Shout to 85258 to be connected to a trained Shout crisis volunteer.

Gender Based and Sexual Violence content

Gender Based and Sexual Violence

Gender Based and Sexual Violence

Domestic abuse can happen to anyone. Find out where you can get help and support if you are experiencing domestic abuse.

Victim of a Crime content

Victim of a Crime

Victim of a Crime

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if the crime is in progress.

Report a non-emergency: Call 101 to contact the police if the crime is not an emergency.

If you're deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech-impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101.

Examples of crimes that do not need an emergency response include:

  • your car has been stolen
  • your property has been damaged
  • you suspect drug use or dealing
  • you want to report a minor traffic collision
  • you want to give the police information about crime in your area
  • Report a crime online

In a non-emergency, you can report the following crimes on the Police Scotland website using their Police Soctland online form.

You can also fill out the Crimestoppers online form if you want to report a crime anonymously.

Report a crime anonymously:

Contact Crimestoppers to report a crime anonymously. They'll pass the information about the crime to the police.

Crimestoppers Telephone: 0800 555 111 Online: fill in the Crimestoppers online form

Report a crime at a police station:

In a non-emergency, you can report a crime at a police station.

Find your local police station on the Police Scotland website.

The opening hours of police stations are liable to change. You can call 101 before visiting to make sure a member of staff will be there to help you.

If you're a visitor to Scotland, it might also be worth contacting your embassy or consulate website to see if they can give you help and advice.

Getting support after reporting a crime

If you give permission when you report a crime, your details may be passed on to Victim Support Scotland.

Victim Support Scotland gives free and confidential support to victims, witnesses and others affected by crime, including:

  • emotional support
  • practical help, like help filling in forms for insurance and compensation and assisting with home and personal security liaison with other organisations on behalf of victims and witnesses

Victim Support Scotland

Telephone: 0800 160 1985 - Find out about call charges

Email: info@victimsupportsco.org.uk

Victim Support Highland

Public phone: 01463 258 834

Email: victimsupport.highland@victimsupportsco.org.uk

There are also people and organisations that can help you if you need specialist support for crimes like domestic abuse, stalking and rape and sexual assault.

Your rights as a victim or witness

As a victim or witness of crime, you're entitled to receive a certain level of information and support from the organisations you come in to contact with in the criminal justice system.

In particular, you're entitled to certain information about what's happening with your case, and you should be able to access appropriate support during and after the investigation and proceedings.

The Victims' Code for Scotland sets out your rights and who to contact for help and advice.

Compensation: You might be eligible to apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

This government fund is available to blameless victims of violent crime who can't get compensation elsewhere can take a long time for a claim to be investigated and compensation paid isn't for emergencies