Estranged students

Who are estranged students and how can we support you? content

Who are estranged students and how can we support you?

If you are irreconcilably estranged from both of your biological or adoptive parents or only living parent, then you would be considered an estranged student.

University can be daunting for any student, but if you do not necessarily have common support structures at home to help you, this can add extra presssure.

We are aware that through your journey so far, you have developed great strength, resilience and a determination to succeed. We want to help you achieve all that you are capable of, by working with you to provide the opportunities you need to make that happen.

At UHI Inverness we have a caring and friendly support team who are there to provide support and guidance.

Your first point of contact is our Access and Transitions Coordinators Amanda Campbell and Katie Ward who can make sure the right people are there for you.  

How can we help?

We can provide a wide range of support, such as;

  • Help with planning and preparing for future study pathways
  • Support to create flexible study options
  • Introductory visits and tours of the building
  • Help with funding applications
  • Access to Health and Wellbeing specialists
  • Signposting to external support services
  • Support settling into college life and getting the most out of your student experience
  • General advice and guidance

Contact us:

Amanda Campbell

Mobile: 07385 433438 

Schools of Study-Care Health and Wellbeing, Engineering, Construction and The Built Environment, Apprentices, Creative Arts and Humanities and the LEEP programme 

Katie Ward

Mobile: 07385526963

Schools of Study-Hair and Beauty, Supported Education, ESOL, Business Computing and Administration, Applied Sciences, National 5's and Highers, The School of Forestry and Hospitality

Email -  We will handle your enquiry in line with our Access and Transition Students Privacy Notice

As an institution we have signed the Stand Alone Pledge, which commits us to supporting students studying without the support or approval of a family network. You can access our Pledge letter on the Stand Alone website.

External support for people that are estranged: