Student Carers


The Carers Trust Scotland define a carer as ‘anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.’

At UHI Inverness we recognise that starting college can be challenging, particularly if you are a carer who is managing caring responsibilities alongside your studies. 

Having these additional responsibilities may mean you need a little extra support to make sure your experience here at Inverness College UHI is both manageable and rewarding. 

To help student carers enjoy college life and reach their maximum potential we have named points of contact to provide help, guidance and support.

How can we help?

Amanda Campbell and Viv Mackie, our Access and Transitions Coordinator's can provide a wide range of support, such as;

  • Help with planning and preparing for future study pathways
  • Support to create flexible study options
  • Introductory visits and tours of the building
  • Help with funding applications
  • Access to Health and Wellbeing specialists
  • Signposting to external support services
  • Support settling into college life and getting the most out of your student experience
  • General advice and guidance

What Next?

Contact us:

Amanda Campbell - 07385433438

Schools of Study-Care Health and Wellbeing, Engineering, Apprentices, Education and Applied Sciences and the LEEP programme  

Viv Mackie - 07385 945744 

Schools of Study-Creative Arts, Supported Education, ESOL, Business Computing and Administration, Construction and The Built Environment, Hospitality and School of Forestry

Email -

Or ask at the Student Support Centre in the main campus building or at reception in the Scottish School of Forestry in Balloch.  We will handle your enquiry in line with our Access and Transition Students Privacy Notice

We are proud to have achieved both The Carers Trust Going Further and Going Higher Awards. These awards highlight that our student carers are being supported to give them a fair chance to be successful in their studies and maintain positive health and wellbeing.  If you would like to find out more about these awards and what the Carers Trust can do for you visit their website

All discussions with us are strictly confidential | No question is too small or silly | We can offer a range of help from a 5 min chat to regular cacth ups | Don't be alone, we are here to help | Get in touch today to find out how we can help you achieve at Inverness College

External agencies providing support for carers:

  • Connecting Carers are a support organisation that offer support guidance and advice to ensure that unpaid Carers in Highland are not caring alone, that they are acknowledged and supported, and that they have access to the information they need to enable them to carry out their caring role.

    Based in Dingwall, their team covers Highland from Caithness and Sutherland in the north to Lochaber in the South. Please contact the centre on 01463 723575, or call our Carer Support Line on 01463 723560 for help and advice or complete Connecting Carers Self-Referral Form

  • Young Scot Carers
  • Carers Scotland
  • Carers Trust
  • Calman Trust

going further achieved logo

Going Higher Achieved Logo